CARDIO PREDICT-cardiological program for young athletes and adolescents.
CARDIOPREDICT is a type of medical procedure that consists of a special cardiological screening. Its main objective is to apply a cardiovascular examination in adolescents aged 15-16 years to detect silent cardiovascular abnormalities early. Because they are potentially lethal anomalies, this type of study is very important for young athletes who are about to start their professional sports career.
The Ascires Biomedical Group, which has its clinics in Valencia, Castellon and Gandia, in collaboration with Valintermed, offers to carry out this type of test.
What is CARDIOPREDICT for?
The results of this study will not provide the essential information to detect the majority of hereditary or congenital cardiac anomalies, which are responsible and cause of sudden deaths in adolescent athletes.
We offer our program at no cost to participants for both phases.
HOW IT IS DONE AND WHAT IT CONSISTS OF ?
- Our cardiologists will first conduct informative talks at the educational centers enrolled in the program. Groups of 7-10 people who will be participants of the program will also be able to receive all the information together with their parents in our clinics.
- The indispensable step that parents / guardians interested in the program must authorize the adolescent to participate in the program and will have to complete a questionnaire.
- The young participants will go to the corresponding medical center (Valencia, Gandia, Castellon), where the first stage of the screening will be carried out.
- Basic and advanced non-invasive tests will be performed: cardiology consultation, ECG, echocardiogram. These tests do not pose any risk at all, they are not painful, nor do they require any type of anesthesia.
- If any cardiac abnormality is identified or suspected during the first consultation and at the time of performing the tests, the parents / guardians will be informed and phase two will begin, which involves two complementary tests to strengthen the diagnosis.
DO YOU NEED CARDIOLOGICAL SPECIAL TEST IN VALENCIA ?
SEQUENCE OF TESTS REQUIRED
1st LEVEL TESTS
Review of the clinical situation and filling in a questionnaire.
At the beginning of the program, cardiologists conduct informative and explanatory talks on sudden cardiac death for program participants (free of charge). A clinical survey is carried out on how a teenager feels during sports exercise, if she had had any fainting spells, if she had any type of chest pain during exercise. It is very important to know the family history trying to capture a possible hereditary disease. Of course, during this type of interview, parents can be present without any doubt.
A physical exam includes a set of tests that will be performed before any other type of diagnostic examination. These tests mainly include: measurement of weight and height, cardiac and pulmonary auscultation and exploration of the carotid arteries, measurement of the femoral pulse and measurement of blood pressure. Generally, testing on a treadmill is not planned. Duration is 10-15 minutes. Treadmill tests and gas exchange measurements (spirometry) will be performed in our other programs for athletes or professional athletes. However, in this part of the “CARDIO PREDICT” exam, do not set yourself the task of revealing how much stamina a young athlete has in one form or another.
An electrocardiogram (ECG) is a non-invasive diagnostic test that measures the electrical activity of the heart that occurs with each beat and can detect some heart abnormalities. This activity is captured by placing patches (electrodes) on the surface of the patient’s body and is usually recorded on paper. It doesn’t take long, but it has great potential for identifying heart problems. Almost all patients have known everything about the cardiogram for a long time, so we will not talk much about the characteristics of this test, etc. Please note that it is very important for us to know what the electrical activity of your child’s heart is.
An echocardiogram is a non-invasive diagnostic test that uses ultrasound waves to create a moving image of the heart that can detect abnormalities in the heart. Images are captured on the screen after applying a conductive gel directly to the patient’s chest or to an imaging device (transducer). Our cardiologist receives the results immediately. It is important for us to understand the dynamic characteristics of the athlete’s main engine, how the valves work, and whether the blood is pumped correctly. Sometimes we are asked about the integrity of the interventricular and interatrial septum, which a child once had in childhood, according to the parents, with some vague suspicion of an unproven abnormality. So we can answer about the condition of the heart septum today.
LEVEL 2 TESTS
Appointed only if there is a suspicion of some cardiac pathology when performing first level examinations
Implementation in our medical centers
Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a non-invasive, non-radiative cardiac imaging technique that relies on magnetism and radio frequency waves for detailed recognition of the function and structure of the heart. For MRI, the patient’s heart is placed in the scanner and it is important that there are no metal elements.
Perhaps, today there is simply nothing more technological better than this examination of the heart. It remains only to use the contrast to paint the vessels of the heart, but this is already a completely different topic of discussion, with which you can get acquainted in our main exam section.
NON-CONTRAST MRI allows you to perform an anatomical and functional evaluation of all structures of the heart, allows you to accurately determine the diameter and volume of the heart chambers, as well as the function of the valves, provide additional information for the signal of echo in patients with heart disease.
ENHANCEMENT EXPANSION MRI assesses myocardial vitality or late enhancement with GADOLINIUM and allows to assess the extent of heart muscle damage in patients with a history of myocardial infarction. This information is useful in deciding whether to perform revascularization in patients with ventricular dysfunction of ischemic-necrotic origin.
Magnetic resonance imaging is essential for the evaluation of cardiomyopathy and provides valuable information on the diseases that affect the myocardium, and in many cases it is the method of choice: obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia, myocarditis, amyloidosis, sarcoidosis, cardiomyopathy not compact.
A genetic test includes a basic list of genetic diseases and mutations in the corresponding genes. It is useful for both common and rare heart diseases. It is a test that, based on genetics, provides information on possible genetic abnormalities that can predispose to sudden cardiac death, that is, vulnerability to certain hereditary heart diseases.
All the main genes responsible for the state of the heart as an organ as a whole will be investigated and analyzed, as well as genes for inherited diseases of the heart and central vessels (GEN MYLK gene, MYH11 gene, ELN gene).
The main list of genetic diseases:
- Familial thoracic aortic aneurysm 7 – MYLK gene
- Familial thoracic aortic aneurysm 4 – MYH11 gene
- Coronary artery abnormalities, autosomal dominant – LRP6, MEF2A genes
- Hereditary angiopathy with nephropathy and aneurysms – COL4A1 gene
- Bicuspid aorta and arterial tortuosity – genes EFEMP2, FBLN5, NOTCH1, SLC2A10
- Ankyrin B associated cardiac arrhythmia – ANK2 gene
- Familial arrhythmia – 85 genes (ACTC1, NKX2-5, TTR …)
- Type IB progressive heart block – TRPM4 gene
- Congenital heart disease – 51 genes
- Atrial septal defect 3 – MYH6 gene
- Type 2 atrial septal defect – GATA4 gene
- Type 1 ventricular septal defect – GATA4 gene
- Septal defects: 14 genes (ACTC1, CITED2, CRELD1 …)
STAGES OF THE PROGRAM
- First, cardiologists will conduct educational talks at our participating clinics.
- The interested parent / guardian then allows the adolescent to participate and complete the initial survey.
- Participants will go to our corresponding medical center for the first consultation.
- If any abnormalities are identified after the first consultation, parents / guardians will be informed and additional tests can be performed to confirm the diagnosis.
Adolescents participating in the program will initially receive a free one-on-one consultation with a cardiologist (free of charge) and with the help of medical staff, which will include a review of a clinical questionnaire (previously filled out by parents / guardians). physical examination, electrocardiogram evaluation, and echocardiogram.
If any abnormalities are found or additional medical tests are required to confirm the diagnosis, parents / guardians will be informed and participants will be invited to cardiomagnetic resonance imaging and / or genetic testing (free of charge), which will identify or exclude a possible change. Undo the possible change.
Additional information for those who wish to participate
VALENCIA – ASCIRES CAMPANAR
C/ Marqués de San Juan, 6
(Junto Avda. Campanar)
46015 – Valencia – España
Tel. (+34) 96 340 09 00
Official website of the program https://cardiopredict.es/
All exams are performed at the ASCIRES GRUPO BIOMEDICO clinics https://www.ascires.com/
The consultations are made in Spanish, English and Russian.